Academic Institutions/ Classes
- Birchside Studios --
Birding, Jewelry and Artwork.
- Mirror Pole -- Fantastic collection of photos and
sounds of Arizona birds. Definitely a labor of love.
- North American Bird Songs -- If you go,
I won't expect you back for some time! Lots of wonderful stories, recordings and musings on the
nature of birds found especially near the author's home in Arizona's Verde Valley. Covers all
of the common desert birds.
- Tucson Bird Counts -- lots of data!
- Wings Over Willcox -- Annual Wings Over Willcox
Sandhill Crane Celebration -- An exciting weekend of birding and natural history tours and
seminars for the whole family.
- Richard Ditch - Arizona Wild Birds -- an abundance
of superb photographs.
Books and Maps - Sources
- Desert Botanical Garden - Phoenix -- A wonderful first
introduction to the Sonoran Desert for Phoenix residents and visitors. Many desert animals find
the garden suitable habitat and are easily seen. Visit often for there is so much to
- Tohono Chul Park -- Tohono Chul Park is a
Southwest center where nature, art, and culture connect. Ramble through winding nature trails
and gardens. Tour exhibits in a renovated historic home. -- 7366 N. Paseo del Norte, Tucson, AZ
- Tucson Botanical Garden -- Cactus gardens and
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum -- Living Museum of
Sonoran Desert plants and animals displayed in as natural setting as possible.
- Arizona Trail -- Trail from US-Mexico border to Utah -Arizona
- BLM Arizona
Wilderness Areas -- Information about the 49 wilderness areas many in the Sonoran Desert
and others in Mojave and Chihuahuan.
- Hike Arizona -- Post Hikes and keep records of your
accomplishments. Photos, Trail Descriptions.
Insects and other Arthropods
Lichen & Fungi
Local Clubs and Societies
- Maricopa Audubon -- Monthly meetings,
frequent field trips and plenty of information and links about birds.
- Northern Arizona Audubon -- NAAS is the Northern
Arizona chapter of the National Audubon Society. The members live all across northern Arizona,
from Grand Canyon and Kayenta to Jerome and Camp Verde. We unite in a common passion for birds
and the environment we share.
- Saguaro Astronomy Club
- Sonoran Audubon Society -- New chapter for Sun
City and West Phoenix/ Glendale.
- Desert Rivers AudubonSouthwest Phoenix Valley
- Tucson Audubon Society -- dedicated to
improving the quality of the environment by providing education, conservation, and recreation
programs, as well as environmental leadership and information. Be sure to visit the Nature Shop
at 300 East University Blvd. which is an excellent source for books and supplies.
Parks, Wildlife Refuges & Wilderness Areas
Plants and Plant Ecology
Tourism & Tour Guides
- Arizona Highways -- Showcase for one of the
most beautiful states in the Union.
- DesertUSA -- Complete guide about deserts in the USA.
- The Adventurer -- Arizona
- Jeep Tours -- Arizona Desert
Mountain Jeep Tours.
- San Diego Museum of Natural History -- Occasionally
offers tours to Baja California's portion of the Sonoran Desert.
- Southwest Birders -- is a partnership of
birdwatchers who love the sport and would like to introduce you to the joys of birding in the
Imperial and Lower Colorado River Valleys, Orange County, Southern Arizona, and coastal
- SABO -- Southeastern Arizona tours, walks
and activities. Also tours in Sonora, Mexico. Primarily for bird watchers.
Weather & Climate
Xeriscape and Desert Gardening
- Plants of the Southwest -
source for purchasing plants and seeds of especially native plants.
- Maricopa County
Cooperative Extension -- 4341 E. Broadway, Phoenix, Arizona -- Landscape Plants for the
- The nursery in Apache Junction, Arizona, called Shady Way Gardens (480 288 9655)
- Desert Tree Nursery on Cave Creek Rd. a bit North of 101.
Attention Web Masters and Surfers. If you have a link that should be posted here or find one
that's broken please advise me!